Thursday, June 16, 2011

What do you call a 30 year old still working at Burger King?

A philosophy major.

No but really, this is my biggest pet peeve.  I feel that the philosophy degree has about the same value as studying home economics.  This rant has been brought on by how I feel about 'bloggers'.  Hello pot, this is kettle, yes I know.

Hear me out.  I was always taught that everyone has their own opinion.  That every opinion is right.  My mother instilled this into even the most diva part of my being (99%).  The idea to me that someone feels their opinion is so much more important that it should take them four years of proper study to hone in on their inner skills for the benefit of mankind goes completely beyond me.

I won't deny that I have a thing for super smart guys.  We all know that if you can do derivatives off the top of your head, or talk to me about politics in an educated (but liberal sorry I am picky) manner, I will be more or less plotting my chances to date you (on a graph, most likely).



That being said, a thesaurus does not a smart man make.  Put down your thesaurus, because I don't find you apt, astute, brilliant, canny, nor clever.  In fact, I would say that I find you to be rather arrogant, pretentious, snobby, and stooping.  See look, I can use a thesaurus too, and it only made you dislike me.  Point proven.  (This is the ONLY thing I learned in my one philosophy class, which I could barely sit through.  I also lack self discipline.)

Ok but regarding the real reason I have made this post.  I have never been a blogger, except for a possible livejournal here or there throughout my angsty youth.  Aside from having previously explained in other posts that I lack the organisational abilities galore, I have never really enjoyed the idea of putting my opinions out for the world, because I feel they are just that.  Opinions.

I won't deny that I get annoyed with people who feel their blog is somehow a manifestation that could one day get published into a novel, because goodness how could it not with all the massively great ideas they are just spewing.  I didn't even want to post on my facebook originally that I had started a blog.  I was embarrassed.

Can we really call a blog of self deprecating humour a pretentious blog though?  I really hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment